I am writing this to show recent experience with a subject that I did cover in my degrees, but those where a very long time ago. As the sole frontend developer, I literally built or imported all the code; and applied the following UX thinking at the same time. This article is a UX specific extension to fullstack-developer, please read it first for context.

High level process

  • Build several Persona, after meetings with relevant people (these are in the git repo). Generically I called them “admin” to set the tone.
  • Take objectives from the PO, as he has best analysis on the legal requirements (also has done a lot of maths analysis, as he has a practical physics PhD).
  • Please note, admin are motivated to be correct/ accountable, but have little interest in the platform. Nothing with serendipity or “cute” is relevant to this platform. Further to this angle, standard marketing things like opinion/tone/feedback gathering isn't relevant.
  • The other members of staff are not UX people. Spend time focussing product suggestions on things that users will benefit from.
  • Work to standardise terminology towards more user centric wording, and secondly to be consistent across the user interface (including external docs) with the legal requirements. We feel that this will make life easier when negotiating with external auditors and solicitors.

Practical details

  • Added consistent and standard iconography.
  • Encouraged a “standard banking colourscheme”. Whilst all the website technology is my responsibility; other co-lateral of the company isn't. Logo rebrand in 2018 is now more consistent with other graphical items.
  • Justified, created as user-stories, created and deployed standard UI features like login/ logout, which the PO and other stakeholders omitted (I was told several times that meta data on trades is as valuable as NSA meta data on telephony). Made the admins session last as long as their activity did.
  • In early sprints did not have time/budget to perform proper software engineering practice; but these where exploratory. Quickly build user journeys to allow visualisation of a fairly abstract material. Since then, the product definition has iterated, and we removed these.
  • Although very atypical for UX, I have accumulatively spent months on making the data smoothed/ filtered/ averaged/ axis clipped, as admin need to be able to get a clear picture of their network. Without this computation to make the data less like noise, the raw numbers are fairly useless.
  • As users are not going to be impressed by anything they need to make them selves in powerpoint, did not animate the graphs. Did reduce graph loading time. My analysis is “this will always be boring reporting task, so a quick boring task is better”.
  • I built the first version of the monthly PDF compliance reporting to be mailed to users, to reduce manual work for them.
  • The product has alerts for atypical events that IT support may need to manage. Iterate these technical notices so they work on small form phone mail apps more easily. The most frequent user of these alerts is much happier with new version.