Splunk is a middleware platform; mostly written in Python2. It is a closed source project owned by the Splunk inc US company. They make grand claims on BI and operations processing; but in my experience its a rules processor on a large scale log reader and similar sources.
Splunk has linked a vast number of open source libraries, and uses them inconsistently.
With TSE 1, Splunk achieves the following for time-series:
- simple easy to manage graphs, which look nice. These are RWD, as SVG
- graphs of the three main metrics of MiFID II, and a raw clock data plot.
- auto data refresh
- security managed by Splunk itself
- easy to use compliance reports
- support for multiple estates of TSE (a shared Splunk node reduces operational costs)
- Disclosure: I work for this company and wrote this code
With respect to time-series graphs, by-its-self Splunk is:
- Notice I have approaching two years heavy use of Splunk; as a developer, not a user. This article can be less abstract as a consequence.
- When pulling up links, I found this book online 2 NOTE: I do not know the legality of the copy of the book; it is just a public search-engine result, and a deeplink.
- Splunk is a daemon service; and also includes a webportal. It is possible to have several different configurations (aggregator, forwarder, olddata storage etc). A few years ago Splunk did everything with XML. Newer versions are now using ini and CSV formats; as it is faster to parse. The REST API talks XML by default, but can be setup to emit JSON.
- There is a mobile app 3 iphone android.
- Splunk has many CMS features, it has a backup tool. As mixed users are expected, they integrate OAuth.
- Splunk natively doesn't support any RDBMS; however the Splunk shop does have DBconnect 4 5. Looking for this returned a second book link 6.
- [NOTE] Splunk supports a range of graph types 7 8.
- Splunk user interface supports a range of languages 9 (see link for list). Or 10
- Splunk supports GIS 11; and links to ArcGIS 12 13.
- When Splunk completes migration to python3 it will have good unicode support.
- [NOTE] Splunk provides a narrow scope scripting language; which has many maths primitives 14 and data manipulation primitives 15.
- [NOTE] Splunk has “timechart” feature 16 17 for time series.
- Splunk has many index options 18 19, and will index any data that you give it.
- Splunk supports projections 20 21 22 but calls them predictions.
- [NOTE] The charts can be edited 23 24 25
- Axis on charts can be edited with 26 27 28