SF2 Demo is an MVC demo, not a UI demo
This is a “few hour demo” for one of the employers I am talking with. I will ask if I may publish the spec. The source is available as a compressed bundle. Further reading on Symfony will be published symfony2-overview as it is written.
I used the Symfony framework as I had this installed. I can also build this as Zend, and will do shortly.
This code has no real purpose, so I won't upload it to any code repo.
What is this?
As I have been told not to add libraries or use alot of styling/ JS effects, the front end is very simple. I think this is to show my skills, rather than my ability to use a search engine to find third party code. What is this (a technical list) :
- White label branding at the moment...
- An entity, for the form
- A Controller, acting as glue code, and as HTML rasteriser
- A service, to implement communication with the mail server and youtube
- Linked 3rd-party libraries
- Twig encoded HTML5 templates
- A small amount of CSS (so the page was readable)
- A couple of unit tests
- A htaccess to make the URLs easier to type
What does this demonstrate?
- Use of MVC concepts.
- Code integration.
- Use of Symfony2 framework.
- Use of HTML5 and PHP5.
- Use of PHPunit.
- Basic use of Apache tech tree.
- Basic use of CSS.
A competency test really.
What would I ~ the author ~ improve?
- A choice on the youtube channel you are watching.
- A trick to get the size of the video screen.
- Context of a bigger site, so this is more useful. At present there is no benefit to using this, rather than going to youtube directly.
- A style guide that you want this to comply to (part of the previous point really).
- When I am doing “service integration”, I normally create test cases for the full vendor API first, so it is quickly possible to determine location of faults (which side of the demarcation line).
- Youtube will probably become an attached library in the next edition of my CMS. Although not via the library I'm using at present, as its not written to PSR-0 or higher.
- Figure out a means to invert the control for dependences properly for controllers ~ Controller as a Service.
- Finish the tests.
- Have real details in the SMTP config, but I don't want to be a spam relay. On my local install, I sent myself some messages.